It’s no secret that digital transformation is a top priority for enterprises. But with so many different technologies to choose from, it can be difficult to decide which ones to invest in. A recent study by Forrester found that 10 specific technologies will dominate enterprise digital transformation initiatives over the next three years. These technologies are: 1. Internet of Things 2. Artificial intelligence 3. Industry 4.0/Advanced Manufacturing 4. 5G 5. Blockchain 6. Augmented reality/virtual reality 7. Intelligent apps and analytics 8. Digital customer experience 9. Cybersecurity 10. Continuous delivery and DevOps
Big data and analytics
Big data and analytics is one of the most important digital transformation technologies that will dominate enterprises in 2019. This is because big data and analytics can help organizations to make better decisions, improve operations, and gain a competitive edge.
Here are some of the ways that big data and analytics can help organizations:
• Improve decision making: Big data and analytics can help organizations to make better decisions by providing them with more accurate and up-to-date information.
• Improve operations: Big data and analytics can also help organizations to improve their operations by providing them with insights into how they can optimize their processes.
• Gain a competitive edge: Finally, big data and analytics can also help organizations to gain a competitive edge by providing them with insights into their customers and competitors.
1. Cloud computing
The digital transformation of enterprises will be driven by a number of key technologies, including cloud computing. Cloud computing is a model for delivering information technology services in which resources are retrieved from the internet through web-based tools and applications, rather than from a local server or personal computer.
This delivery model offers a number of advantages for enterprises, including scalability, flexibility, and cost savings. As enterprises embrace cloud computing, they will be able to take advantage of these benefits to drive their own digital transformations.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a digital transformation technology that enables enterprises to automate and improve their decision-making processes. By automating repetitive tasks, AI can help reduce the cost of business operations and improve efficiency. Additionally, AI can be used to analyze data and identify patterns that would otherwise be difficult to spot. This information can then be used to make better decisions about product development, marketing strategies, and customer service.
Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a network of physical objects that are connected to the internet and can share data. These objects can be anything from vehicles to home appliances. The IoT has the potential to revolutionize the way we live, work, and play.
Enterprises are starting to take advantage of the IoT to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and gain insights into their businesses. Here are some of the ways enterprises are using the IoT:
1. Connected devices: Enterprises are using connected devices such as sensors and RFID tags to collect data about their operations. This data can be used to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
2. Predictive maintenance: By collecting data from sensors, enterprises can predict when equipment will need maintenance or repair. This helps them avoid downtime and increase uptime.
3. Asset tracking: RFID tags can be used to track assets throughout their lifecycle. This information can be used to optimize asset utilization and prevent theft or loss.
4. Supply chain management: The IoT can be used to track inventory levels and shipments in real-time. This information can help enterprises improve their supply chain management processes.
5. Customer engagement: The IoT can be used to gather data about customer behavior and preferences. This information can be used to improve customer engagement and loyalty programs
Blockchain is a digital ledger that records transactions in a secure, tamper-proof way. The potential applications of blockchain are far-reaching, and enterprises are only just beginning to explore how the technology can be used to streamline their operations and create new business opportunities.
In the coming years, we expect to see blockchain being used more and more by enterprises across a wide range of industries. Here are some of the ways in which we think blockchain will make a big impact:
1. Smart contracts: Blockchain will enable the development of smart contracts, which are self-executing contracts that can automatically enforce the terms of an agreement between parties. This will allow businesses to automate many processes that are currently manual and time-consuming, such as claims processing and supply chain management.
2. Identity management: Blockchain can be used to create tamper-proof digital identities for individuals, businesses, and devices. This will have major implications for security and fraud prevention, as well as opens up new possibilities for identity-based applications such as e-voting and e-commerce.
3. Digital assets: Blockchain can be used to securely store and transfer digital assets, such as cryptocurrencies, loyalty points, or customer data. This will streamline many transactions and help reduce fraudulent activities such as double spending or account hijacking.
4. Data sharing: Blockchain’s distributed ledger technology can be used to create shared databases that can be accessed by multiple parties simultaneously.
As digital transformation increasingly relies on technologies like the cloud, artificial intelligence (AI), and the Internet of Things (IoT), cybersecurity must keep pace to protect against new risks. In 2019, we expect to see continued growth in AI-powered cyberattacks, as well as an increase in attacks targeting IoT devices. To combat these threats, enterprises will need to invest in advanced cybersecurity solutions that can detect and respond to sophisticated attacks.
Augmented and virtual reality
1. Augmented and virtual reality
Virtual reality (VR) was one of the most hyped technologies of 2016, but it has yet to make a significant impact in the enterprise. However, that could all change in 2017 as several major VR headset manufacturers are gearing up to launch enterprise-focused products.
Augmented reality (AR), on the other hand, is already starting to gain traction in enterprises. AR has a wide range of potential applications in various industries, from manufacturing and retail to healthcare and education. For example, AR can be used for product visualization, training simulations, and field service operations.
In 2017, we expect to see more enterprises experiment with both VR and AR as they look for ways to improve efficiency and productivity.
Digital twins are a digital representation of a physical asset, system or process. By creating a digital replica of an existing or proposed physical entity, organizations can optimize performance, mitigate risks and better understand how their products and assets will behave in the future.
With the proliferation of connected devices and the rise of the Internet of Things (IoT), digital twins are becoming increasingly important for enterprises seeking to gain a competitive edge. By 2050, it is estimated that there will be nearly one trillion digital twins in use worldwide across a variety of industries.
There are many benefits of using digital twins, including:
-Enhanced decision making: By understanding how an asset or system is likely to behave in the future, organizations can make better decisions about where to allocate resources and how to improve performance.
-Reduced costs: Digital twins can help organizations avoid potential problems by detecting issues early and providing data-driven insights that can help optimize operations.
-Improved customer experience: Digital twins can be used to create personalized experiences for customers and simulate different customer journeys. This helps organizations understand what works best for their customers and make necessary changes accordingly.
The digital transformation technologies that will dominate enterprises in 2019 include artificial intelligence (AI), the Internet of Things (IoT), and blockchain.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a process of programming computers to make decisions for themselves. This technology is used extensively by enterprises for automating tasks, analyzing data, and providing recommendations. In 2019, AI is expected to become even more ubiquitous as businesses look to increase efficiency and gain a competitive edge.
The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the growing network of physical objects that are connected to the internet. IoT devices can include everything from wearable fitness trackers to industrial machinery. Enterprises are using IoT to collect data about their operations, improve efficiency, and provide better customer experiences. In 2019, IoT is expected to continue its rapid growth, with more businesses adopting this transformative technology.
Blockchain is a distributed database that allows for secure, transparent, and tamper-proof transactions. This technology has the potential to revolutionize many industries by making data more secure and eliminating the need for intermediaries. In 2019, blockchain is expected to see increased adoption by enterprises as they explore its potential applications.
The digital transformation of enterprises is inevitable. Disruptive technologies are changing how businesses operate and customers interact. Enterprises must adopt these new technologies to remain competitive. Edge computing is one of the most important technologies that will dominate enterprises in the future.
Edge computing is a distributed computing model in which data is processed at the edge of the network, close to the source of the data. This allows for real-time processing and decision making, as well as reducing latency and bandwidth costs. Edge computing is critical for applications such as autonomous vehicles, augmented reality, and industrial IoT.
Enterprises must invest in edge computing to stay ahead of the competition. Those that don’t will be left behind.